Information for International Applicants

Our company consists of four hospitals, a nursing home and a hospice in four different locations in Berlin. The company belongs to DRK-Schwesternschaft Berlin e.V., which is a non-religious association within the international Red Cross / Red Crescent movement. Please, do not confuse DRK Kliniken Berlin with national or regional Red Cross / DRK organizations. We are part of the same movement but not connected in business. Find out how to get a job in our company here.

How to get a job as a ...

Professional Nurse (with a Bachelor of Nursing)

To apply for a job as a nurse in our hospitals in Berlin-Westend, Berlin-Mitte or Berlin-Köpenick, please include

Nursing Assistant / "Pflegefachkraft in Anerkennung"

You can work as an assistant nurse if …

  • you applied for the recognition of your Bachelor of Nursing by German authorities (e. g. „LaGeSo Berlin“) and received a notice of deficiency saying that you have to take an adaptation course („Anpassungskurs„)
  • you didn’t achieve a Bachelor of Nursing in your home country, but did some other kind of training as a nurse and received the recognition as „Gesundheits- und Krankenpflegehelfer“ or „Pflegefachassistent:in“ by German authorities (e. g. „LaGeSo Berlin“)

To apply for a job as a nursing assistant in our hospitals in Berlin-Westend, Berlin-Mitte or Berlin-Köpenick, please include

  • notice of deficiency OR recognition as „Gesundheits- und Krankenpflegehelfer:in“ or „Pflegefachassistent:in“ oder „Pflegefachkraft in Anerkennung“ by German authorities (e. g. „LaGeSo Berlin“) (Apply for recognition of your professional qualification here)
  • official German language skills certificate level B2 or higher (Learn more about language skills and certificates here)
  • If you want to increase your chances include a letter of motivation in German and proof of working experience as a nurse

Nurse or Nursing Assistant in training

Would you like to work as a nurse? Then join us after graduating from school and do a three-year training as a nurse („Pflegefachmann“/“Pflegefachfrau“) or a one-and-a-half-year-training as a nursing assistant („Pflegefachassistent:in“). You can start the three-year training twice a year (1st of April / 1st of October) and the one-and-a-half-year-training once a year (1st of October).

The trainings are free of charge. You earn a salary from the first day of the training: 1.042 € per month if training to be a Pflegefachassistent:in or 1.120 to 1.300 € if training to be a Pflegefachmann or Pflegefachfrau.

The theory lessons take place in 4 to 6 week blocks in our educational center (“biz Bildungszentrum”). For the practical part of the training, you can choose one of our hospitals in Westend, Mitte or Köpenick as your „home base“, but you will also get to know the other locations.

To apply for a training as a nurse or nursing assistant, please include:

  • your graduation certificate from high school approved by German authorities (find information here)
  • official German language skills certificate at level C1 (legally, level B2 is sufficient, but we find that trainees can’t follow our classes before they have reached level C1)
  • proof of a three-week nursing internship
  • letter of motivation in German
  • C.V. / resumée in German
  • residence permit (visa)
  • working permit by the Foreigners’ Registration Office
  • copies of the original documents, translated

Upload you application here (text in German):

Meet Neil from the Philippines

Neil was a nurse in a big hospital with 600 beds in the Philippines for 6 years. Because he wanted to support his family financially, he decided to come to Germany as a migrant worker. Today Neil works in our trauma surgery department. Get to now him and his story in the video (in German). Or read his story in English here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which steps are necessary before I can apply?

The legal process is a little tricky. There are many different regulations depending on which country you come from, which job you want to take and whether you are a regular international applicant / migrant / person granted asylum or a refugee / asylum seeker. To sum up, we can say that – depending on your individual background – you might need:

  • an recognition of your professional qualification by  German authorities, e.g. „LaGeSo Berlin“ (Landesamt für Gesundheit und Soziales, Berlin)
  • or (if applying for an apprenticeship / training) a recognition of your school diploma by Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Berlin
  • a translation of your professional qualification or school diploma
  • an employment contract or preliminary contract by a German employer (see question “Do you offer preliminary contracts?”)
  • a general working permit from the Foreigners’ Registration Office
  • a permission from our Federal Employment Agency to work in the specific position that has been offered to you
  • a residence permit (visa)

Important advice: Take as many necessary steps as you can before applying at our company. Get help with the legal process by a counselling service. Try to find a German native speaker who volunteers to translate your C.V., helps you with the forms and accompanies you to appointments with the authorities. Find more information in English on this website by the German government:

Which common mistake should I avoid?

If you already received the recognition of your professional qualification („Anerkennung“, „Approbation“) by German authorities, please present it as the most important information at the very beginning of your application! We receive many applications from international applicants who can’t present their recognition documents, yet. So if you hide them somewhere in the back of your application, we will tend to believe that you can’t present them, either. Don’t start your C.V. or letter of motivation with information about your school education or your professional experiences in your home country, but with the very clear hint for us, that you can present your recognition documents by German authorities.

Do you offer preliminary contracts?

German authorities (e. g. „LaGeSo Berlin“) might notify you that you need a preliminary contract in order for them to approve your professional qualification. We can help you with a document stating our interest in seeing your application and considering your employment. In most cases this will be sufficient for the authorities and they will process your request.

Please, ask for this document at However, this is not a firm commitment that we will offer you a job. And it is not a preliminary contract. We will still have to check and process your application.

What about language skills?

In order to work in Germany and especially in the health care sector, you have to speak German. You do speak some German but don’t know which level you’re at? You want to take an official German test but don’t know which one to choose? You would like to get some advice on where to learn German online?

Find out more about language skills

Get to know our locations

Whether it’s a large clinic in the suburbs, a small hospital in a multi-cultural neighborhood or a hospital that reminds you of an enchanted castle, each of our locations are unique in their own special way. Please note that many of our job offers are location-specific.

Get to know our locations here

Your start in Berlin

When starting a new life in Berlin or in Germany, there is a lot to organize. We provide information about registration, public transportation, insurance, apartment hunting and more.

Find out more